Thursday, July 16, 2015

6 Month Follow-Up & Surgery

I’m still visiting my breast surgeon and oncologist every 6 month for follow up appointments, along with yearly mammograms. I’m happy to report that my mammogram was clear! During my appointment with the oncologist, I mentioned that I was having some back pain. Last year I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease so back pain isn’t something new but it usually comes and goes; this time it has been hanging around for a few weeks and got to be pretty bad. My oncologist, always erring on the side of caution, sent me for an MRI. Praise the Lord, it was clear! In fact, it showed no progression in my DDD since last year so that’s a plus! We still don’t know what has aggravated my back, causing the pain but it’s tolerable and I can live with it.


When I diagnosed 3 years ago, my desire was to have a double mastectomy. We went into treatment taking the most aggressive approach possible. However, since I needed radiation, I wouldn’t be able to have reconstruction for 1-2 years after the surgery.  I wasn’t emotionally strong enough to wait for reconstruction so I opted to go ahead with a lumpectomy. Fast forward 3 years … My skin is healed from radiation and I am scheduled for a double mastectomy tomorrow morning. Research still supports a lumpectomy with radiation as being just as effective as a mastectomy for my subtype of breast cancer.  Even though I understand the research, there are many reasons why I am opting to have this surgery. I'll save those for another post, I'm not ready to get that deep tonight. I have complete trust in my surgeons but I’m very nervous and scared for the recovery process. Please say a quick prayer all goes smoothly tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated on the recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment