Thursday, August 30, 2012

Trend Setting, a New Class, & a Visit with the Greats

Shortly after I was diagnosed, I read an article that said the head scarf was the *NEW* fashion trend for the summer. I knew the trend would never make it to Greenville but it still gave me hope that it wouldn’t just be women facing cancer that were donning scarfs!
If I’m at home I don’t wear anything on my head. Other than the boys and my parents, only handful of people have seen me bald. If we are expecting company, I usually have a scarf on. It took me awhile to be comfortable enough to wear a scarf and not my wig out in public. But, while I may be comfortable with a scarf, I think it makes others uncomfortable.  Wearing a scarf is an outward sign that I am sick and some people just don’t know what to say or do.
You don’t need to do or say anything; just treat me like you would if I had my long, brown, curly hair; like you normally would. Normal is good, I’m not constantly reminded the battle I’m fighting. If you have been where I am, it’s okay to say so, I welcome talking to other patients or survivors. If you have questions, ask me, I’m a pretty open person. Please don’t stare, give me a weak smile, or sad puppy dog eyes; that what makes me uncomfortable.
I’ve been dealt a shitty hand and so have many others that have faced cancer, it sucks! It’s an everyday struggle but in the end I’m going to be a stronger person for having fought and won this battle. And I’ll have a cute collection of scarfs for when the fashion trends does hit Greenville!
Round 5 is tomorrow morning.   I’m super excited to say I have made it the last 3 weeks without an unexpected visit to the doctor! Plus, one of my many awesome cousins is making the trip from Jersey to spend the day with me in the chemo room.
On another note, my sweet boy moved up to the next classroom at school last week. He has done so well with the transition and we are both loving Ms. Bethany’s class. Here are some pictures from his end of year party.







Last weekend we took a quick trip to VA to visit Jonathan’s grandparents and great-grandfather. We had a great time but I only managed to snag a few pictures.
Talking to Great-Great Grandad Clay

Exercising with Grandad Clay


Pirate football starts this weekend. It’s the first time in years that we didn’t get season tickets but we weren’t sure of my treatment plan or if I’d have the energy to make it to the games. So we are planning to watch the game from home. Let’s go Pirates … Aaarrrggghh!




2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Love you!
    Love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    You are handling this amazingly.
    And you will beat this and be a stronger person because of it. Got the braclets, thanks.
    Love you and think of you often.
    Love Aunt Roseann

    ReplyDelete