Thursday, June 21, 2012

Round 1 ~ Done

It was a rough week emotionally last week but we survived the first round of chemo! The best way to describe how I felt physically … the flu! You know, kind of achy, sore, worn out, hit by some bricks feeling. Except for being tired and a little nauseous the first 2-3 days after chemo weren’t so bad. It was the worst 3-5 days out and about a week afterward I started to feel my normal self again. I have plenty of meds to help with the pain and nausea, I just feel really worn out. The hardest part is not having the energy to keep up with Aiden. It breaks my heart to have to tell him I can’t go outside with him, give him a bath, or play. But we spend lots of time cuddled on the couch watching Mickey Mouse and playing on the IPad.  It may not be the ideal situation but it’s our time together and that’s what important! I’m hoping to be able to do some fun things with him in my “good” weeks now that I’m done teaching.


I had a follow-up with my oncologist yesterday and my blood work came back great! She said most patients don’t feel any worse with subsequent treatments than they did with the first treatment. I’m hoping that will apply to me but we’ll have to wait and see. My second round of chemo is scheduled for Friday, June 29th. After talking to Dr White, we moved it from Monday to Friday, hoping the couple of extra days would help me feel my best for Aiden’s birthday party! I cannot believe my baby boy is going to be 3!
I’m so incredibly blessed with an amazing support system. My family, friends, GWL, coworkers, everyone has been so wonderful. I truly appreciate everything … prayers, calls, texts … just knowing you are taking a part of your busy day to think about me means the world! We have had so many delicious meals dropped off!!! Aiden walked away disappointed last night after he asked, “Who’s brining dinner tonight” and I said ,”no one, I’m cooking tonight.”
 Last week, I was just too tired and emotionally drained to blog and now that I’m feeling better, I’ve been trying to play catch up from last week. Summer session 1 ended yesterday with exams and I just posted final grades. Now that I’m done teaching until August I’m going to have lots of time to blog and keep everyone updated! In fact, I’m not sure what I’m going to over the next 6 weeks when I’m feeling good, with a 12 month contract I’ve always taught all summer. Maybe I’ll finally get to try all those things I’ve pinned on Pintrest over the last few months!

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you girl. Glad you are feeling better and you are always in my thoughts. The time you spend with Aiden is precious no matter how it is spent! He loves his mommy and as long as he is getting love and attention from you, he will be fine. You have such a positive attitude. Keep it going! xooxox

    Rhonda xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best Jamie. I can clearly remember when you were 3 and as long as you had your mom near you, no matter what you were doing, you were so happy! I'm sure Aiden will be the same. I know with all my heart to will come through this challenge in your life. Oh and if you need a good laugh, ask your mom about the time I was babysitting when your mom was pulling dinner out of the oven and burnt herself. She said something and you finished it. Let me know if she doesn't remember and I'll tell you. I'll find some more pics of you and Paul and post them. Keep doing what you're doing.

    Love, hugs and support,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,
    I check your blog all the time. My thoughts and prayers are always with you. You are amazing. Just keep strong and don't be afraid to ask for help. Any time you spend with Aiden will be special. That's what he will remember, your love for him.

    Love Aunt Roseann

    ReplyDelete